2012 Hebridean 3 Race Challenge (the "Heb 3")
The Heb3 Race series is organised by Stornoway Running and Athletics Club and aims to boost overall entries to the five half marathons, by encouraging runners to run at least three of the five races.
These Half Marathons are independently organised, sponsored, and support local charities. (There is no separate entry fee for the Heb3 race series over and above individual race entries).
The challenge is to complete at least three of the five Western Isles Half Marathons - Stornoway, Harris, Benbecula, Barra or Skye in any one year. This is the longest running series of half marathons in Scotland, and 2012 sees the 23rd event. It is a hugely popular race series, with increasing entries every year. In particular, the Barra race, which is only able to support limited numbers, sells out early every year. The series opens with the Stornoway half marathon and ends with the Harris half marathon, which traditionally involves post race celebrations, both locally and on the ferry!
Prizes (all to be presented after the Harris race)
This year’s race series sponsor will be announced soon.
Individual and team prizes
There are a selection of unique prizes for various male and female categories. Prizes are awarded to 1st, 2nd,3rd Male; 1st, 2nd,3rd Female; 1st Male and Female vet and supervet; 1st team. Normally prizes are sourced from the island, for example, local pottery.
Notes on all prizes
- if a runner wins a prize on more than one category (other than a team prize), they will be awarded the better of the two.
- Categories are the traditional ages, ie vet is over 40 (male) and over 35 (female), and supervet is over 50 (male) and over 45 (female), irrespective of how they are awarded in each individual race.
Team prize – Shield
(see notes below for eligibility & rules).
Notes on the team prize
- fastest three runners from any one club
- either male or female, or mixed team
- each of the three runners must have completed the HEB3, running for the same club
- the three runners can run different races, as long as they each run the HEB3
All finishers of the Heb 3 (ie at least 3 races)
All runners who complete at least three of the five races are presented with a quality running t-shirt with the HEB3 logo designed by Iain Bom Mackay of SRAC. In addition, runners who complete all five races will have their t-shirt overprinted with “rinn mise na coig” (I did the five) on the back. These are quality running vests, (previous brands have included Saucony, Ron Hill, Adidas, Mizuno, Craft, etc) and are sought after by the Heb3 runners. They are not available for purchase.
Why not run the Heb3 in 2012 for a memorable running experience?
These Half Marathons are independently organised, sponsored and support local charities. The organisers are: